Following the success of last year’s Cooler Lumpur Festival, we are excited to announce the launch of the Cooler Lumpur Writers Residency: a three-day intensive retreat for writers, held shortly before this year’s festival begins.
The Cooler Lumpur Writers Residency is crafted and curated with a simple mission: to provide up-and-coming writers with the support and tools necessary to grow and develop their talents and to give them an opportunity to learn from some of the very best writers out there.
From 18 – 20 June 2014, the Writers Residency will be held at The Dusun’s beautiful rainforest retreat. Two established writers, who have been invited to speak at the festival, will be leading intimate workshop sessions for six people.
About the Writers Residency
The idea behind the Writers Residency is to seek out the most promising talent from all across the country and provide an opportunity for the talented writer to work and learn with established prose writers. We do this with the conviction of that age old adage that writing cannot be taught but that writers can be encouraged.
At Cooler Lumpur, we believe that residencies such as this one are an integral part, not just in promoting and propagating the English language, but in building a community of writers, and kickstarting society at large into reading, writing, and sharing.
For far too long, writing, literature, and the arts have been ignored in our country. With The Cooler Lumpur Writers Residency, we hope to show that these are vocations with great value, not just to individuals, but to collectives and communities and nations as a whole.
This first edition of The Cooler Lumpur Writers Residency is our pilot. It is our attempt at actively seeking out the best and the brightest writers our nation has to offer. It is our proof of life.
How to Apply:
- The Cooler Lumpur Writers Residency is open to applicants aged 18 and above.
- Space is limited to six participants. Some publication history is welcome but not required.
- The workshops, room, and board are all paid for. Housing and meals begin with dinner on Wednesday 18 June and conclude after lunch on Friday 20 June 2014. We will make every effort to accommodate any dietary restrictions.
- You will be expected to provide your own transportation to and from The Dusun.
- Monday 2 June: Applications close at midnight. Any submissions after this date will not be accepted.
- Friday 6 June: Acceptances will be emailed on or before this date. Acceptance package includes full details on housing, transportation, and schedule
- Wednesday 18 June: Writers Residency begins.
- Friday 20 June: Writers Retreat ends.
Umapagan Ampikaipakan is the Programme Director of the Cooler Lumpur Festival and the Writers Residency. Questions? Email [email protected]